Tuesday, May 5, 2009

Sliding Sentiment Card Tutorial

We made a cute card at the last Stamp Club Workshop that I would love to share with you how to make. It is called a Sliding Sentiment Card... let's get started!
You can use any rubber stamp images with any theme and any color for this card. I am using our "Milk It" stamp set along with "A Little Bird", and the cute little 4x4 papers we just got in from Jenni Bowlin. (You can find these in the "Specialty Cardstock" section of the online store)
I covered the front of a white card using the papers and also die cut a red piece out using the Labels 1 Nestabilities.
Then I stamped the cute cow onto white cardstock using Denim Adirondack ink pad and trimmed her out. To add a little color and a little fun I chalked in some red checks on her.
Cut a piece of cardstock for the sliding part about 4.5" long and 1/2 to 3/4 inches wide depending on your stamp. Here my stamp saying I wanted to use was too high.

So I just used my sharp scissors and trimmed in half. Don't you LOVE unmounted stamps?!


Stamp half of the saying to the left side leaving a bit of an edge, and then the other half on the right side, again leaving a bit on the edge for the ribbon. (See next step)
Then add your ribbon flags and brads to both ends. This is how you will slide the sentiment back and forth. You could use other things besides ribbons and brads... maybe buttons or paper tabs, etc...
Gather your items together to assemble the card. I also die cut a smaller piece to go on the red die cut I showed you earlier. It seemed to need another layer when I staged it together.
Glue the cow down on the die cut.
Turn the die cut over and place the sentiment where you would like, then cut a piece of foam tape just slightly smaller than the width of the die cut.
Now trim the foam tape in half length wise.
Place the sentiment where you want in (make sure it is not upside down!) and then place the foam tape along the top and bottom of the sentiment. This is what will keep the sentiment in place. Cool Hugh?!
Take the release paper off of the foam tape and glue the whole thing to the red die cut.
Then glue whole thing to the front of your card.
I added some cute blue clouds to the front of the card as the last embellishment. Slide it to the right and it reads. Herd it's your...
Slide it to the left and it reads ... birthday.
Inside reads "celebrate 'til the cows come home!"
Here are a couple more designs I have made. This is using "Spring Rory" set and "A little Bird" for the sentiment. The left side reads "It's your...
Right side reads birthday.
Inside reads "I picked these just for you".
This is the design we made at the last stamp club workshop using the Butterfly and Flowers Photo stamp and the sayings are from the Bugs & Kisses set. Left side reads "Heard you...
Right side reads "caught a bug". Inside reads "Hope you are steady on your wings soon!"

I hope you have enjoyed this tutorial. These sliding sentiments would be great not only on cards but how about a photo frame or a scrapbook page. I bet you can come up with other great idea's as well.

Please email me if you have any questions or would like to order any of the rubber stamps used.
melissa@thestampingstudio.com

4 comments:

Millie said...

Very cute!!

Melissa Baldwin said...

Thanks Millie!

Cheryl KVD said...

Very fun tutorial! I can't wait to try it! Thanks!!

Melissa Baldwin said...

Glad you like it Cheryl!