Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Paper Pumpkin Tutorial

Here is a quick and fun project for you to try today, or tomorrow, or whenever you have about 20 minutes or so - Paper Pumpkins. Aren't these the cutest? I am going to make these for the twins teachers to decorate their desks at school. Who wouldn't want one of these? And I was thinking that wouldn't they be fun to make in non-traditional pumpkin/fall colors?... maybe match your decor. Mine would have to be blues, greens, and browns. I think I need to go make another one!

I used our Funky Foliage stamp set for this project item #TSS022 (uncut) or #TSS022RSS (already trimmed out). This set is also on sale for HALF PRICE this month! This is one of my all time favorite sets that stamps out so wonderfully crisp and clean, and I love the two step stamping and how the layering looks. This is a great time to get some wonderful fall stamps on SALE! You can find the sale stamps either in the "4 Sale-Close Outs" section, or the "Rubber Stamps Flowers and Foliage" section.



Here is how to make these;

You will need 9 strips of pattern paper cut 6x1". I am using BasicGrey Offbeat collection on my sample. I used 3 different patterns for a fun funky pumpkin.


I wanted to have a pattern inside my pumpkin, not just the outside so I am going to stamp it! I lined up my strips upside down and in the order I wanted for my pattern. I then used one of the leaves for my pattern, stamping the solid image using Adirondack Terra Cotta ink, and then the lined image over that using Adirondack Espresso ink.Stack up your strips and use a paper piercer to poke a hole on each end. Place a brad in one end.Fan all of the strips out like so.


Then one by one, place your strips on the brad over lapping.Here is how it looks half way through.When all the strips are on the brad flatten out the ends of the brad. And there is the basic paper pumpkin!
Don't you think our pumpkin needs some leaves? I stamped the same leaf onto white cardstock 3 times and trimmed out. I could not resist adding a little sparkle, so I used my glue pen and glitter on the leaves.

I used glue dots to attach the leaves and also some waxed linen for some spirals/vines... these I wond around the top brad to secure. These are really fun!

2 comments:

Wendy said...

This is an adorable pumpkin, Melissa! See my blog....I made one, too! Thanks for the tutorial.

Have a great day!
Wendy

Melissa Baldwin said...

I am glad you like the project Wendy and your pumpkin is embellished so cute! I love the stack of buttons for the stem. You are so clever. Thanks for the "props" on your blog.